Kickin' it this Summer
Hey Guys, I hope you have been enjoying your summer. Summer is a great time for grillin’, shooting guns, watersports, fishin’, and just plain fun under the sun. Yes, summer in North Dakota is short sweet and a great time of year. It is so easy to get wrapped up the fun stuff and enjoying life that we forget to focus on our relationship with God. So here are a few practical habits to keep you on track with your spiritual walk this summer.
1. Pray in the morning: what a great way to start your day. Take some time in the morning and just connect with God. Maybe go for a walk and pray in tongues (that’s what I do most mornings). Maybe spend some time in praise and worship. Psalm 113:3 From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the LORD is to be praised. Whatever you do get ready for your day make it a priority to focus on building that relationship with the Lord.
2. Pray for your friends. A good friend would want their friends to be blessed right? So doesn’t it make sense to spend at least a few minutes praying for your friends and family? If you love your family and friends pray for God to bless them. Matthew 22:36-40 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.”
3. Read your Bible. If we say we are Christians then we better know our Bible. Do you want a successful life? I hope everyone does, otherwise maybe you should really think about making sure you have all your marbles because of course everyone wants to be successful! Joshua 1:8 says This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success.
4. Pray with your friends. I know this is awkward and uncomfortable but what a great way to demonstrate the power of prayer by praying with a “pre-saved” person and seeing the Lord do something awesome and that person witnesses an answer to prayer. 1 Corinthians 4:20 tells us that the Kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power! And if its awkward praying with your fellow Christians learn to get comfortable. Because your prayers are more powerful when you are in agreement in faith with another Christian. Don’t believe me? Well Jesus says in Matt 18:20 “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
5. Pray before going to bed: what a great way to end your day. Thank the Lord for a great summer day. Meditate on His blessings, meditating on the good work He has done in your life will increase your faith and it will be easier for you to act in “swift obedience” when God asks you to do something.
Have a great summer guys! As always don't just have a good day, have a blessed day!
Pastor Ernest Kelplin